India’s government has banned citizens of the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Saudi Arabia from entering the country after the Supreme Court ruled that it violated international human rights laws.
The ban was announced after a high court in Delhi issued a ruling in a case brought by the human rights organisation Amnesty International on Monday (Tuesday).
The ruling upheld a 2014 Supreme Court ruling that upheld the ban, but left the issue of its implementation to the countrys central government.
The court did not specify how many citizens could be barred, but it said it could restrict visas for them.
The government has appealed the decision, with a judge in Delhi saying it could take “several months”.
The court also noted that there was no clear way of determining how many of the people affected by the ban were actually citizens.
The decision came as a blow to the government’s plans to open up a new airport in the capital, Delhi, and a new train station, as part of a plan to improve rail services in the south-east of the country.
Amnesty said the decision amounted to “unconstitutional, discriminatory and cruel measures” which amounted to a “clear violation of international law”.
It urged the government to immediately immediately release all of the affected citizens and stop the implementation of the ban on them.
Amnesty International said that it had received reports that hundreds of people were detained at the border, but the exact number of those who had been detained was unknown.
The group said that the government had used its powers under Article 15 of the ICCPR and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) to justify the ban.
The ruling was a huge blow to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government, which had argued that the ban was necessary to tackle terror threats.
The Indian government said the travel ban was “necessary to protect India’s national security and to protect the nation from any threats from the neighbouring countries”.
The decision could be a blow for Mr Modi, who has said he wants to open a new Indian airport in New Delhi by 2020.
The country’s top military officer, General VK Singh, who is also the defence minister, had defended the ban as a necessary step to “safeguard the security of the nation”.
Mr Singh said the move would “safecome the people and the nation” and that the decision would be “comprehensive and effective”.
Mr Modi has been in power since 2015.
Amnesty’s executive director, Sarah Leah Whitson, said the ruling was “a significant blow to Modi’s Government, which has been working hard to improve the lives of people in India”.
“India’s new leader Narendra Modi has long promised to create jobs, boost infrastructure, and improve the quality of life for ordinary Indians.
This ban on Indians from the UAE, Egypt, and Saudi is a clear and brutal attack on those who are living in poverty, and on the right to free speech,” she said.
It’s time for India to make good on the promises it has made to its people and to respect international law, which India’s own constitution clearly states is ‘the law of the land’.” Mr Singh, India’s chief minister, also has faced criticism from the opposition over the country’s controversial move to ban the entry of foreign nationals from certain Muslim-dominated countries.