The United States, Israel and the Middle East have entered a period of heightened travel restrictions after a pair of terrorist attacks in Jerusalem and the southern city of Hebron, Israel’s Interior Ministry said Thursday.
The two attacks were carried out by Palestinians and were the deadliest attacks by Israelis in recent years.
Israel’s security services say they’re not ruling out the possibility that they might have been inspired by the attacks.
The Israeli authorities announced a series of travel restrictions on Thursday, restricting entry to the occupied West Bank, the Gaza Strip and the eastern Gaza Strip.
The measures include a ban on flights to the United States and the United Kingdom, and restrictions on visitors to Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv International Airport and other Israeli cities.
U.S. President Donald Trump called for Israel to lift its restrictions on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) during a phone call with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, The Associated Press reported.
The call took place shortly after the Israeli government announced a temporary halt to U.S.-funded aid to the agency in response to a series, including the death of three UNRWA staff in an attack on a Palestinian school in Gaza.
At the same time, Trump called on the Obama administration to “take swift and appropriate action to lift the sanctions” on the U.N. Relief and works agency, according to a statement from the White House.
Israel’s cabinet approved the new travel restrictions Thursday, as well as a series on security and humanitarian measures.
The cabinet will meet on Thursday morning to discuss further measures, the statement said.
Following the attack on UNRSA staff, U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson told the British Parliament that the country was suspending a U.A.E.-funded program to send aid to Palestinian refugees in Gaza, the AP reported.
Johnson said the U-turn came after the United Arab Emirates, which runs the program, requested that the U,A.U. stop providing funding.
Meanwhile, U of T’s student union suspended its annual conference and scheduled a meeting with its students, in what was the largest student strike in the university’s history, The Toronto Star reported.
Students from across the country are scheduled to gather in Toronto for a series called Students for Justice in Palestine, to protest the continued lack of justice for the victims of the attacks, the paper reported.
A new report from Human Rights Watch has also accused Israel of continuing to discriminate against Palestinians in the occupied territories, particularly in the West Bank.
The U.R.W. report, which analyzed the human rights records of more than 1,400 Palestinians killed in the Israeli military’s offensive against Gaza and the West on Aug. 14, said Israel continued to target and detain civilians and civilian objects, including schools, hospitals and homes.
In the last four months, Israel has carried out at least 30 attacks against Gaza, according the report.
In the last week alone, there have been three attacks on hospitals in Gaza City, three attacks against schools in Gaza and three attacks in the central Gaza Strip, including two suicide bombings.